In This Section
- Fitzpatricks launch new website, blog and phone apps
- Wagga Direct
- Eric Bailey
- RSL merger
- Commins Hendriks
- Wagga Life Issue 2
- Wagga Direct Launched!
- Wagga Life Issue 1
- Wagga Business B2B Magazine
- Fitzpatricks Real Estate
- Featured Businesses
- Moto Coffee
- Eclipse Handcrafted Furniture
- My Shed
- C Designz- Graphic Designer
- Mink Hair & Beauty
- Riverina Herbal Medicine & Thermal Imaging
- Raine and Horne Wagga
- Bolong Farms
- Ray White Rural
- ActionCoach Wagga
- HMA Twomey Patterson
- More Australians choose financial resolutions
- Homebuyers at risk with mortgage insurance
- Focus on Property Seminar
- No longer a niche market: You dont need millions to start investing
- End of Financial Year Looming
- Warning for business owners: Get advice before you lease
- Protect your most valuable asset - your income
- HMA Twomey Patterson Audit and Assurance Services
- Have your cake and eat it too: Access your super while at work
- HMA Twomey Patterson celebrating 60 years
- Are you prepared for retirement?
- Go to the head of the class with education costs
- HMA Twomey Patterson supports Movember
- HMA Twomey Patterson to host property investment briefing
- Miss Melina
- The Personnel Group
- Mild to Wild Tyres, Wheels & Restorations
- Brock Johnston Photographer
- GWS Personnel
- Job Centre Australia Limited
- Summit Personnel
- De Lew Designs Australia
- Riverina Party Hire
- Custom Car Care
- COMPACT Wagga
- Boyce Chartered Accountants
- Wagga Catering Equipment
- Naturally Floored reaches another milestone
- Naturally Floored Launch
- Knight Frank Wagga Wagga
- Wagga Glass & Aluminium
- Lennon Salvestro Planning
- O'Halloran Deal Lawyers
- Izziana Image Consultants
- Quest Wagga Wagga
- the red Pomegranate
- NSW Business Chamber
- Wagga Wagga Business Chamber
- Women in Business
- Conference and Events Facilities
Homebuyers at risk with mortgage insurance
More than Just Accountants!
Mortgage Protection Insurance is not necessarily the best cover for home loan borrowers, according to Chris King from local financial planning firm, HMA Twomey Patterson.
He strongly believes that everyone should be considering Income Protection Insurance as an option for more comprehensive cover.
Chris King advises “If you are applying for a home loan and being asked by the bank to take out Mortgage Protection Insurance, consider your options before signing on the dotted line. You should definitely consider Income Protection Insurance as an alternative."
Income Protection Insurance provides you with a monthly benefit in the event that you are unable to work due to sickness or accident.
The monthly benefit can provide up to 75% of your regular salary and can be used to help maintain your lifestyle while you're away from work.
Chris King warns, "Mortgage Insurance only covers your mortgage repayments, not expenses like food, electricity, water, or medical bills - all of which are essential.
Your Mortgage Insurance provider pays the benefit directly to the institution from which you received your loan - it doesn't cover your debt."
“Most forms of Mortgage Insurance really protect the lender and not the borrower," warns Chris King. “Income Protection is much more comprehensive and protects you personally.”
Chris King states, “You should also have a look at how long your insurer will pay you for - or the ‘benefit period’.
It is quite common for Mortgage Protection to only provide benefit payments for a maximum of one or two years, whereas Income Protection can provide payments up to the age of 65.”
According to Chris King, “Generally the only area where Mortgage Insurance may provide cover and Income Protection won't, is involuntary unemployment.
Some Mortgage Insurance policies will provide a benefit up to six months if you become unemployed during the period of cover for more than 30 days.”
“People should be aware that there are alternatives to Mortgage Protection insurance,” says Chris King, " and in my professional opinion, for many people Income Protection Insurance is an alternative to be considered".
Chris King is an Authorised Representative of Count Financial Limited an Australian Financial Services Licence Holder (No. 227232) and Australia's largest independently-owned network of financial planning accountants and advisers.
The advice provided is general advice only as, in preparing it, we did not take into account your investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you should consider how appropriate the advice is to your particular investment needs, objectives and financial circumstances.
For further information:
Chris King ADFS (FP). JP
Count Financial Limited
HMA Twomey Patterson
Tel: (02) 6925 8377
Fax: (02) 6925 8550
Newsletter sign up
Sign up for newsletter with Wagga Wagga Guide is easy. Just select the subscriptions that interest you and fill in your details. We will send you informative emails on a regular basis. We won't spam you or share you email address with anyone + it's easy to unsubscribe.